Official UK Partner to the Paradors, Pousadas, Pestana Hotels & Resorts, Les Collectionneurs (Chateaux), and European Hotels Collection.

Travelling to the EU after UK exit

11th March 2019

At this time the nature of the UK's arrangements with the EU are not clear. We have assembled guidelines on the main areas of concern for those travelling in an EU country after the UK leaves which may help to allay your fears.

Update: UK is due to exit on 31st January 2020

Driving in the EU

Concerned about whether your UK driving licence will be valid after 31/01/20?

For peace of mind, you could apply for an International Driving Permit through the post office, which you then carry with your current UK licence.

What you need when applying:

  • Full valid UK driving licence - photocard or an older paper licence
  • A passport sized photo
  • The £5.50 application fee (cash or debit / credit card)
  • Original valid passport as proof of identification, if presenting an older paper version licence

If you are looking for further information about driving in the EU after the 31st January, the Department for Transport is updating their website as information becomes available:

It may be that you will not need an International Driving Permit once the nature of the Brexit arrangements are clear, but for peace of mind you may wish to apply for the permit if you are concerned about the current situation.

It is also advisable to obtain a green card from your car insurance provider, which is usually free and which provides you with evidence that you have the minimum required level of insurance cover for the EU countries in which you are driving.

UK drivers will also need to ensure they have a GB sticker for your car if you are taking your own vehicle.


Travel Insurance

We always recommend buying travel insurance when travelling abroad to insure against any number of issues that may arise before or during your trip. It is particularly recommended to ensure that the policy you take our covers you for any potential medical costs you may incur whilst you are away.

It is unclear at this stage whether an EHIC (the replacement of the EH111) will still give UK citizens access to free medical assistance in the EU, but if you have a travel insurance policy, you will be protected by the cover (up to the extent) of that policy for medical assistance whilst you are in the EU.  


Entry Visas

Plans are underway to permit UK travellers to enter the Schengen area without the requirement of a visa for short trips (possibly up to 90-180 days a year). The full details of this have not yet been confirmed, however for more information on the matter, you can look at articles such as the following:


Travelling with pets

Information on travelling with pets in Europe after we leave the European Union can be found on the UK government's website:

More details should be announced soon and we will keep our website updated with any relevant information.

ABTA's website provides very comprehensive information about most of the new requirements for travelling after the UK's exit. Visit:

Information correct as of 2/1/2020


By continuing to browse or by clicking “Accept All Cookies,” you agree to the storing of first- and third-party cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. Cookie Policy.